Children's Speech and Language Therapy
What is a Speech and Language Therapist?
Speech and language therapy is concerned with assessing and treating speech, language, communication difficulties in people of all ages. The aim is to help them to communicate to the best of their ability. Some therapists also work with people who have eating and swallowing difficulties. Speech and language therapists (SLTs) are allied health professionals and there are around 11,500 Speech & Language Therapists in the UK.
Did you know…..
- Around 2.5 million people in the UK have a speech or language difficulty.
- Approximately 7% of 5 year olds entering school in England have difficulties with speech and/or language. In some areas of the country it can be up to 40-50%.
- Speech & Language difficulties are more common in boys than girls.
- Speech and language difficulties is the most common Special Educational Need
Interested in becoming a Speech & Language Therapist?
The Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists (RCSLT) has produced a useful leaflet on ‘my career in speech and language therapy’. Visit their website for more information.
Speech & Language Therapy in Swindon can provide work experience placements, For more information, please contact the speech and language team on 01793 463 333
We see children between the ages of 0-18 years who may have difficulty with:
- Speech sounds (pronunciation)
- Talking (saying words and sentences)
- Understanding spoken words and sentences
- Interacting with others
- Swallowing, eating and drinking
The speech and language service also work with other people who spend time with the child. This might be parents, carers, school staff, nursery/pre-school staff, child minders, grandparents, doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, teachers of the deaf etc . In Swindon we have specialist teams of therapists for children who have:
- Down Syndrome
- Hearing impairment
- Cleft lip & palate
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Eating and drinking difficulties
- Alternative and augmentative communication needs (communications aids)
- A stammer/dysfluency
For more information on the Speech and Language Therapy service in Swindon, visit the SEQOL website